Thursday, January 3, 2008

Grocery Bag Review

It is the New Year and the time for setting new goals. I only have a few this year. I want to get my kids to eat something green by the end of the year. I want to get though the vegetables from my CSA before they rot (I compost a lot of local organic produce, mostly beets). I will also make a bigger effort to remember my reusable bags and not leave them in the car! I have made some progress in reducing the cupboard full of bags in my kitchen but I want them gone!!!

On that subject I have been meaning to do a review of reusable grocery bags for a while. I started buying them last summer and bought a bunch of different kinds. I have been using them and some are better than others. They all cost a dollar each apart from the bigger Trader Joe bag which cost two dollars. So here they are starting with my least favorite.

The Albertson’s bag is made of a fabric-like recycled material (as are the Von’s and Target bags). It seems to be a bit sturdier than the Von’s and Target bags but it is on the small side.

The Vons (Safeway) bag is big and holds a lot but a few of mine have already gotten ripped. It is also on the ugly side. It does have nice long handles that fit over my sholder.

There are two kinds of Target bags. One is very similar to the previous two but the other is really great. It is smaller than the others but it folds down and zippers into a wallet. I really like this because as far as I can tell the biggest problem with all of these bags is remembering to bring them into the store. I keep these little Target bags in my purse.

The Trader Joe’s bags are by far my favorite. They are made out of a much stronger plastic, they are big and they look great. These are the ones I grab first.

So if you have been meaning to buy some of these bags definitely go for the Trader Joe bags!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I just bought my sister a Piggly Wiggly bag...maybe I'll mail one to you. You'd love it!

The Cureton Family said...

Hey Marie! It's Heather Cureton (Coker) from Flagstaff. I found yet another blogger! It's so great to see pics of your kids and family. I can't believe how big your boys are!!

Camille said...

Thanks for the review Marie! I've been meaning to get some of these bags but wasn't sure which ones were the best. I am also trying to get through my bin of plastic bags in the kitchen.